*If you have nothing profound or witty to say, you can always waste time fidgeting with the colors and layout of your blog, right? I took Julie's advice and just stuck with the quote I liked, even if it was an embellished one. It's such a good thought, and still one I'm trying to remember in my daily life of humble tasks. I'm going with the green theme because, as many of you know, we're contemplating a short-term move to the greenest of lands. This is news for the blog, I suppose, but I've been thinking about it non-stop for the past few months. I'm actually ready for some new thoughts. But for now it's an endless circle of questions like - How will this work? Where will we live? What will we do with our belongings? What will I do when we get there? What will become of my sweet Cordelia? All pressing questions that I'll be asking myself and probably you, too, a few more thousand times. It is an exciting time, even if I am impatient and ready for some answers. I do believe that though we are planning a course in our hearts as best we can, it is the Lord who will determine our steps, and I am glad that he is in charge because at this time I can feel how much I am not!
*Has anyone watched the new BBC production of Jane Eyre? I've read the book and seen three or four other versions of the movie, but I loved this one. I really liked the way they portrayed Jane, her mixture of passion and innocence, and her determination to do the right thing even when it cost her everything. I liked the beauty of the countryside, the connection between her and Rochester, and her supreme happiness at the end of the film. It reminded by of Ps. 68:6: "God sets the lonely in families . . . ."Although I know it would be a horrible life, especially physically, by today's standards, I do envy at least the romanticized idea of living at that time. Or at least living as someone other than a servant or a beggar at that time. I think I'd be happy to be a tutor, to have long walks outside as my entertainment, to read in front of a fire in the evening, to not worry about feeling unaccomplished because so little accomplishment was expected out of me. Of course that life would only be possible to a fortunate few, and I do think it's better that people in general have more options now. I am glad that I was able to marry for love and not pushed into a marriage at an early age or denied the chance to marry because of my lower position. But if I don't really wish I had lived at that time, maybe I wish that I had lived in a movie at that time. I'd also like to see the new Jane Austen movies that were shown recently on PBS. I'll be excited when they're on DVD. I just signed up for netflix, so I'll be on the lookout.
*This has been a pretty hard winter, weather wise. Layers of ice and not much snow. I'm longing for some spring!
*I finished reading Sinclair Lewis' Arrowsmith a few weeks ago. I heartily recommend it to anyone who would like to be bored on an ongoing basis for several weeks. :)
*More recently I've been reading John Piper's Desiring God, which I think is very, very good. Maybe I really am a Puritan at heart. (?)
*I've been making this each time we bring snacks for our life group. It's soo yummy and makes me think of the friendly state, which is always a good thought.
February 26, 2008
Some thoughts in February
Posted by
Elisa
on
2/26/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I've been watching the Jane Austen movies on PBS, and have enjoyed them. They should still have Sense and Sensibility and Emma left.
Can you get the BBC production of Jane Eyre on DVD?
You know my vote is to move to Ireland! I loved the four months I spent there. The people are friendly and the country is beautiful!
Love the new look!! I second the motion to move! It will give me somewhere to stay when I visit!! But on an un-selfish note, living overseas gives you more than you can ever imagine.....
Is the BBC Jane Eyre different than the one that has been on Masterpiece Theatre with Toby Stephens? If so I am now on a quest to find it. I must see all versions of Jane Eyre. And speaking of good BBC productions, have you seen Bleak House? I highly recommend it. Looking forward to hearing your plans to go to Ireland--how amazing!!
Carolyn and Jamie,
The one I'm talking about was the Masterpiece Theatre production with Toby Stephens, and it's on DVD. Isn't it great? I love Bleak House, too. At first I wasn't sure about it because style-wise it's so different, but I became addicted very quickly. It's so heart breaking!
Jamie,
I would be so happy if you came and stayed with me!
I meant Jaime, though I guess Jamie would be ok, too. :)
I think it would be so fun to move to Ireland! I bet you could find someone to keep Cordelia for you. Who wouldn't want to petsit a cat named after Anne of Green Gables for an extended amount of time? Keep us updated about Ireland!
Thoughts on March? I'll even settle for April!
Post a Comment