October 23, 2006

Covered Bridges

We took part in the famed Covered Bridge Festival on Saturday. This means we drove all over country roads for the better part of a day to see old covered bridges and a stop in a dinky town suddenly overrun by hundreds of people eating fried foods and shopping for antiques. This is our third year to go, so we felt like festival-going pros. My favorite part is this little town called Bridgeton that has an old mill right on a creek where I got some cornmeal. I could have sworn for a moment that I was Laura Ingalls Wilder bringing home the goods for Ma.


This is what most of the bridges look like. Red, old, crossing a crick (and yes, you have to pronounce it "crick"), and surrounded by pretty fall colors.




One of those one-armed photos we're all so familiar with.



This booth took care of my fear that there wouldn't be anything healthy to eat in town. Really, it just made me laugh. It's like they're proud of the fact that their veggies come straight out of the vat of crisco. I hate it when they aren't freshly fried and the grease has started to congeal on my broccoli. :) It's been fun to read about the other fair/festival events some of you have taken part in, too. I love the fall!

2 comments:

Christina said...

How fun- your trees in the background look just like ours and the air is so crisp- I love it! And I love that picture of you and RPJ. You look gorgeous!!!! :)

Elisa said...

Ah, Chris. You're the best fan club ever. :)