On the other hand, a good laugh can be helpful at times when you're dealing with serious issues, and it seems a bit amusing to me that this scene could suddenly be one that sends people screaming in terror in the other direction.
From cute overload 12-5-05. Click on photo for link.We really wanted to get a costume of some sort for Cordelia for Halloween, but I'm guessing that she wouldn't keep it on anyway, so it wouldn't be worth the effort. But you should really go to cuteoverload and look at their selection of pets in costume pics. I know that I'm obsessive about this ridiculous website, but we don't have t.v. and are kind of hard up for entertainment sometimes. Some people have Grey's Anatomy. I have cuteoverload. Last night I was reading on the couch and kept hearing Ryan who was also on the couch with his lap top cracking up but couldn't figure out why, and he wouldn't confess. Finally I figured out it was because he was seeing the pictures from the site I had pulled up and left on his computer for him. He probably wouldn't like me telling you that, but I felt like that was a small victory for me, and it just proves that the site is worth a look.
Is anyone going to a costume party this weekend? I'd like to know what you (or your kids) are dressing up as.
Tomorrow night our church has a "trunk or treat" where folks are supposed to decorate their trunk like some Bible story. We were going to do that and have before, but Ryan is sick so we'll probably cancel. This is the first year, though, that your trunk is supposed to be a Bible story instead of just a radom costume/game thing. Does this seem odd to anyone else? Do you really want to take your kid to church for a safe Halloween experience and then have him or her freaked out by a scary Bible story? I kept thinking of what our trunk could be, and here are some of the things I came up with, which proves this idea is questionable.
1. Angel of Death car = story of the passover 2. Plague car = pick a plague of your choice. Maybe have some trick where you turn water into blood. 3. crucifixion car = I won't even go there 4. Samson car = kids have to catch a stuffed fox and try to burn down their neighbor's vineyard 5. Paul in prison car = kids sit in shackles and sing songs until we relent and give them a piece of candy.
See the stories that actually fit for Halloween somehow seem oh-so wrong. Sometimes I think we should just say, let's have a normal carnival and not confuse ourselves and kids any more than we already are. What do you think?
8 comments:
You don't have TV? On purpose?
okay, I think it's odd in general to have anything "to do" in the trunk of your car. Especially that you invite others to be a part of.
We are going to a party on Saturday and have no idea what to be. We've been trying to think of black/white couples so we can go as a pair. But short of OJ and Nicole, I can't think of anything.
Ok, I am either a total moron or am just way too tired b/c the whole time I was reading your post I kept thinking "trunk? like a trunk that people used to carry as luggage?" And amazingly, I was confused by how all that was going to work. Luckily, my friend Rachel has a brain and unwittingly clued me in! Wow, I am so smart!!
Jamie, There is no way to get television reception here without cable, and we just decided to forgo that for awhile. We do have a tv and dvd player, so I watch movies. Just don't know what is going on in the world of current shows, which is probably good for me anyway.
Rachel, You could go as Seal and Heidi Klum. You just need a blonde wig and a bump on your tummy. Let us know what you decide.
Jaime, I didn't exactly explain that well. Yes, this is an event in the church parking lot, and each car trunk serves as a station where kids stop and play a game or something and then get some candy or a prize. It's a good idea, but the mixing in of the Bible stories is odd to me. I'm sure it will work out fine as far as the kiddos are concerned.
My church in Lubbock is having one of those Trunk or Treat events. You'll have to let us know if people had scary Bible story themes for their trunks. That does seem wrong.
We are having a "trick-or-treat-a-trunk" at our church, and yours truly is in charge of the shin-dig. Itis super fun, but we just decorate our cars halloween style... no bible stories... somehow it seems a bit much to try to incorporate ererything into a bible story. I am sure the intentions are good , but sometimes we forget that it is ok just to get together and have fun and fellowship without trying to somehow turn it into a bible lesson. Your ideas made me laugh!
About tv.... not sure if you had heard me say that we got rid of our tv service as well after our recent marriage issues. It has been the best decision ever for us as a family. Everyone thought we were weird at first, (myself included bc I was so addicted to Greys, Housewives, Amazing Race, etc) but i have since discovered the world of things that I get done without it! Our focus was putting only what is wholesome into our minds, and most of what we were watching was not necessarliy wholesome! We really have missed being up on news and sports, too... I had to find out from one of my preschool students that the crocodile hunter died! Guess I need to get the paper!
Anyways, there is one of my infamous post/comments on your blog!
Hey, my little cute-overload addict. How was trunk or treat? Do we get to see a picture?
I know I'm slow about responding to your blogs, but keep it up! They definitely make me smile :)
So I see that trunk-or-treat is a growing trend. We ended up not going, and I didn't hear anything about it, so I assume it went off without a hitch. I wasn't really offended, and I don't think anyone would do anything intentionally weird or scary - just thought it was funny in an odd sort of way. I agree with Summer about the value of fellowship.
Summer, it is really encouraging to hear about people who make some sort of sacrifice for their family and then discover that it is totally worth it. It sounds like you've done just that. I really admire your willingess to put up with the feelings of being out of the loop or even being "weird" for a greater purpose.
Jessie, hello stranger. Two more weeks!
Post a Comment