September 7, 2007

A Mini-Flood

Wednesday morning we woke up to the sound of running water in an upstairs bathroom. Something in the pipe that connects the toliet to the wall had broken and water was gushing out and ther was about an inch of water covering the bathroom floor. The sound we actually heard was all of the water draining down the vent in the floor at the other end of the room. (This is different than what I'm used to - in Texas all of the vents are in the ceiling, right? But because there are more heating days than cooling days here, all of the vents are in the floors, which all of a sudden seems like a ridiculous idea for a bathroom.) So we have a big mess. The water dripped down through the dry-wall ceiling downstairs in our kitchen. And I guess even though we cleaned up as well as we could, water still got underneath the floor, so now they've ripped up the bathroom floor, removed the toilet and the sink, and we have four huge de-humidifiers going upstairs and down, and those suckers are loud. Really, everything will be OK, and thank you, Lord, for insurance, but it just amazes me how quickly everything can go wrong. On the same day our phones and internet connection stopped working. We were worried that water and gotten in the phone line somehow, but it turned out to be an outside problem with the phone line. I guess Sept. 5 is our jinx day. We're making Jessie ready to move out because we're camping out in her room - the only quiet room in the house. And poor Cordelia is going nuts. She is already a little nutty, and this has pushed her over the edge, I think.

It's weird because the problem wasn't even that big of a deal, or so it seemed at the time, but it's a great big deal to fix. It makes me feel so sorry for people dealing with actual floods or problems that are obviously a big deal. A good reminder that everything here is temporary and easily removed.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Sorry for the inconvenience! That doesn't sound like fun.

Hope it gets fixed quickly.

Unknown said...

Elisa- That is crazy! Sounds terrible. You have such a great attitude about it though (no surprise to me). Hope it is all taken care of now!

Unknown said...

Did you get everything fixed up? Have I mentioned lately that I think your cat has the best name EVER? I miss you guys.