January 15, 2008

"Quote"

When I was in high school a friend gave me a very pretty little book that already had some quotes (about nature) in it, and I used it as my collection place for quotes, which I added eagerly. They mainly came from whatever I was reading in school at the time, so Thoreau and Emerson make a big appearance. I was all about sucking the marrow out of life. :) I did this sort of thing to a lesser extent in college. But recently about the only quote I really think of is something I came across on the Internet. (Notice the regression of my reading choices.) My theme quote! Everything I wish I had actually thought first in a pithy saying! Yeah! As you may know, it was REPORTEDLY, "I long to accomplish a great and noble task; but it is my chief duty and joy to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble." Well, today found out that isn't even how it goes. The real quote leaves off the word joy, which was a big part of why I liked it. So, my theme quote is an actual quote no more. I started searching for a replacement because you kind of need a quote to be an actual quote if you're going to go around "quoting" it to yourself. Here were some contenders from my super-reputable source, http://www.quotationspage.com/.


I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
Laura Ingalls Wilder


If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.
Anne Bradstreet


There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in storm.
Willa Cather


I was happy with this pretty good showing from some of my favorite authors. I was really feeling inspired and proud of myself for getting back into the quotation groove, so I decided to keep looking, hoping to find that gem that might be worthy replacement for the Helen almost-quote. Then, in the middle of my excitement I found . . .

People who like quotations love meaningless generalizations.
Graham Greene

Way to rain your intellectual snobbery on my parade, Graham! But wouldn't that be funny stitched on a pillow or hanging on your wall? Surely the perfect meaningless generalization is out there somewhere waiting serve as my theme! :)

6 comments:

Jamie said...

I have a quote book, but I haven't added anything to it in years, probably since college.

Brooke said...

Thanks for the comment, Elisa. I haven't done any weight training in about a year....around the time I started losing. So I may try to start that up again.....but it's so hard to find the time! :-( I appreciate the advice!

Hope you are doing well and it was good to hear from you.

Jaime said...

I love quotes too, but I have never been able to keep up with a book or anything. I always have my eye out for wall hangings or picture frames and stuff that have great quotes! I hope the right quote comes your way soon!

Unknown said...

This post is a great example of why I miss you. :) I quote you all the time and find great joy in it!

Christina said...

Here's a quote for you that I think you will enjoy and find quite inspiring...."These pretzels are making me thirsty."
-Kramer

JulieC said...

I loved ALL the quotes...and who says you can't "adapt" a quote to be your perfect one! :)