January 4, 2008

And on to a new year

I had lots of fun visiting with my family at my brother's house in. My older niece is 3, which seems to be an entertaining age to me. I keep wondering what on earth is running through her little brain. Here is a conversation I thought was funny. It was prompted by seeing her sister playing with Mr. Potato Head.

D: Aunt Elisa, are you going to teach me to make very good potato salad?
Me: Umm. Well, if I ever figure out how to do that, I'll let you know. Do you like potato salad?
D: No.

I don't know if it translates as being funny in print, but at the time I thought it was hilarious, mostly because I can't follow her train of thought even when I try to make sense of it. I don't think her mom makes potato salad. Where is this coming from?

Our younger niece is soo precious at 18 months, and it was fun to get to be with her, too. My grandmother was there and as spunky as ever, and it was great to just get away for awhile and be with family.

My sister Jessica, our niece, Ryan

Jamie's happy listing goal is such a good idea. I know I'm not going to keep one in the same way, but I would like to keep that attitude. A happy list for December is embarrassingly easy. Cute little girls, vacation time, snowy days at home - it's like being handed a happy list on a silver platter. But January through March is like a marathon for would-be thankful people. If I could learn to cultivate a thankful spirit during this time when not much is going on other than cold weather and work, I would be truly impressed with myself. :)

God bless your new year.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Start with your December list and then try to keep writing. I bet you'll be surprised.