I'm not sure how I come across when talking or writing to friends and family about our time here, but I have the feeling it often sounds negative. There are good reasons for that - these past few months have been difficult, and I don't want to lie or pretend otherwise. But today as I was walking back from Ryan's office where Asher and I had gone up to say hi, I thought this is a really nice walk - I'm really enjoying this day. So this inspired me to come up with a bigger list of things I like about living in Ireland.
* I like all of the Georgian-style buildings that are here, especially in the area in which we live and where I spend most of my time. It's really nice to have pretty, historical sites to see wherever I go.
* I like walking everywhere. As much as it is an inconvenience, it is also a blessing. It's good for us, for one thing, and you just get a different point of view by always walking everywhere; I'm really aware of this during the times I take a bus someplace and familiar places whiz by and look so different.
*I like how friendly Irish people are. I never have to worry if I need directions or advice, any Irish person I run into is eager to help and usually has a story about an a relative they have living in America.
*I like the absolute beauty of the parks and countryside.
*I like the privilege of staying home with our son.
*I like the international influences around. Ryan's lab and our church family are filled with people from other countries, and it's neat to meet people from such different backgrounds.
*I like Irish brown bread and hot tea.
*I like living in the middle of everything, even things that I wouldn't ever think I'd be that interested in. For example, yesterday there was a protest by all of the taxi drivers in town. We are close enough to the government buildings that I heard all of the honking and then heard about it on the news. It's not like I have a supreme interest in taxi driving, but it's just interesting be in a position to hear about what is going on and to experience it in some way, too. Today we walked by the government buildings where the protest was held. Another day Ryan walked by the same place and there were a bunch of sheep in the road along with protesting farmers. (Economic times are rough here, sadly, so lots of protests are going on.)
*I like it that I never break a sweat, even when rushing around with a stroller packed down with groceries. It stays cool year-round, for the most part. (I remember when I was in high school in south Texas I dreaded even walking outside in between classes because I'd get so sweaty in a short, five-minute walk.)
*I like my classic FM and country mix radio stations. The country mix is an interesting combo of American country, folk, and oldies songs with a few Irish tunes stuck in here and there. Very random.
*I like learning about the history of this country and more of Europe just by being here.
*I like hearing little children with adorable accents.
*I like seeing little school kids in their private school uniforms (all schools are private here, most use uniforms.)
*I like our small, loving church family. It takes time to get to know people you only see once a week for a few hours, but even so, I can't say enough about their faith and their kindness to us.
And there are more things, but nap time is precious and I better get some other things done while I can. But I do thank God for these gifts.
March 6, 2009
With Thanks
Posted by
Elisa
on
3/06/2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Loved reading what you wrote about Ireland! I love many of the same things! Adorable pictures!
Hey friend! I enjoyed reading your reflections on Ireland, and it is always good to see updated pictures of baby A! I miss our after 5 walks in the park, free from men jangling keys at us! Have a good day! Sabrina
I am glad you are finding things to enjoy about Ireland! I know how hard it is adjusting to a totally foreign place - sometimes the harder things come up easier in conversation....but I know you are finding ways to enjoy your adventure! Asher is so adorable!! What a total cutie he is!!
oh so fun to read your updates. i cracked up at the papa nerd/baby nerd photo. man those two sure look alike. are you sure asher is yours? just kidding I remember the delivery drama. can't wait to squeeze your neck. I'm sooooooo excited!
Post a Comment