May 28, 2010

A Friday Five (minus one)

1.  We had a wonderful visit from my sister and two of her friends last month.  They were ambitious sight-seers, and while there is no way I could completely keep up with our munchkin in tow, it was great having some inspiration to get out and see beautiful Ireland and even better to just have some time with my sister. 

Asher and Aunt Jessie

Ryan and Jessie

famous rope bridge in Northern Ireland

I made it across!
2.  I'm really enjoying reading The Reason for God by Timothy Keller.  I don't know how widely read it is in the States, but I am actually surprised at how good it is and find its thoughtful discussion of faith and doubt to be really encouraging.  It gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

3.  I made this delicious, and dare I say pretty, cake for our mid-week Bible study group last week.  It got rave reviews from my completely non-biased husband.  I started with this recipe and instead of using the coconut and almond extract added 3 tablespoons of Southern Comfort (fruity liqueur).  Now that's a lot of liqueur, but it's also a lot of batter.  It would easily make a three layer cake.  For the icing I had an artsy, meaning not well measured, mixture of butter and cream cheese (more butter than cream cheese), milk, and powdered sugar. To that I added a teaspoon of vanilla another 2 tablespoons of Southern Comfort. And I added a little yellow food coloring to the icing so that I could dub it my "sunshine" cake.  The sun was shining quite nicely that day, and we're always excited when that happens!




4.  My son, who I love like crazy, is driving me crazier than I already am.  That's a lot of craze!  He could care less about toys but it obsessed with  the following.
*The front loading washer/dryer and changing whatever cycle it may be on
*The oven in all of its "HOT!  HANDS OFF!" glory
*The off limits outside patio.  We're several floors up, and I'm just not comfortable with him being out there, but with no ac in our apartment and plenty of windows that don't actually open, the door must stay open on these warmer (i.e. over 60 degree) days.  He's willing to scale any obstacle I put in his way to get there and a spanking or time out is a small price to pay for admission, evidently.
*The TV and phone and all of the interesting buttons they entail
*Climbing from the dining room chairs up onto the table or to the desk and computer
*The freezer and its contents which he can easily access
 My conclusions are that this apartment was not made to promote the long life and health of a toddler and that even if I'm a believer in parental authority and discipline, it doesn't seem to make much difference if he is not.  Bring on those terrible twos!  The ones are wearing me out!

having fun in the parent-approved pan drawer

And that's about it!

1 comment:

The Brackeens said...

Oh my. I am with you. Hudson is not quite as advanced as Asher, but he's a climber, into everything, and he doesn't care much for his toys. He seems to want to play with our stuff...kitchen things, cell phones, tv remotes, books, etc. And he has been in a whiney stage where all he wants to do (other than that) is to be held. Sometimes he just cries and sometimes he gets to be held, but either way, we are worn OUT!