
This summer I had the annoying experience of really getting into a book with a great story that is well written. Then, when I was hooked and couldn't stop because it was so surprisingly good, everything went waaay down hill dragging me along with it. The book was A Thousand Acres, which I understood to be based on King Lear, which I liked in school, and it won some prestigious awards and I think is on Oprah's reading list, so I thought it was a pretty safe bet. Well, this story was so ridiculously depressing that I seriously wouldn't have cared if the character had jumped in a river because I just wanted it to end!!
(You know that if you or a friend is going through horrible times you can cope with just about anything. And I'm not saying that we should ignore real suffering in the world. But these aren't even real people and you can't do anything or pray for them. You just have to suffer with them as they abandon all hope and suffer through things that are too terrible to mention. Too much of that just makes me sick.)
How do you find something that isn't so cheesy that it makes you nauseous but isn't so depressing that it pulls you down into hating life with it?A good question, I think.
So I'm jumping on the Thursday Thirteen bandwagon by listing thirteen books I like with the hopes that I can get some good recommendations from you, too. (And I realize that I may not list anything you haven't already read yourself so thank you for humoring me.)
In no particular order. . .
1. When you're looking for hope - The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomNow here is a book that doesn't pretend that the whole world is a happy-go-lucky playground, but at least she has some hope. (I need hope!) This is an autobiographical story about a woman in Holland whose family hides Jewish people in their home during World War II. She and her family pay the price for living out their faith.
2. When you're looking for practical nutritional advice - Strong Women Eat Well by Miriam E. NelsonIn spite of the goofy sounding title I think that this is a good read for anyone who is interested in nutrition. I've used a lot of the things she says over the past few years as I've grown to be a "grown-up" cook, and I even have it on reserve at the library because it's been long enough since I've read it that I want to read it again. (I can see my sister rolling her eyes at this title because I'm always trying to shove Miriam Nelson down her throat!)
3. When you want a classic - Anna Karenina by TolstoyIf I read this again, I'll definitely go with an abridged version because it's too easy to get lost in the talk about Russian politics, but it's a great story. Way to go, Leo!
4. When you want to pretend - Harry Potter I know it's dumb to list something that's so overly publicized, but I can't help it. I've really enjoyed those books.
5. When you want to feel Greek/Roman - Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
This is a retelling of the myth of Cupid and Psyche, not that I remembered exactly what that myth was a first, and it has Christian spiritual implications that didn't beat me over the head. Its very much like reading a (somewhat depressing at first) fairy tale. See, this is what I thought A Thousand Acres might be like - depressing, realistic about the fact that life is hard and short, but having a least a bit of light and understanding in the end.
6. When you want a quick mystery - Agatha Christie
Doesn't Agatha sound like one of those names everyone thought sounded ugly when you were a little girl but that will be making a strong comeback with the children of friends at any moment? I don't remember the name of the small novel I read this summer but it was the very first one written with Hercule Poirot as the detective an d I enjoyed it. I like trying to figure out "who done it" and I like that it doesn't take much effort to get through these books.
7. When you want suspense and romance - Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Jamie reminded me of this book by posting a quote from it on her blog. The first time I read it I couldn't put it down. I really like this one for pure entertainment.
8. When you want a long, adventurous journey- Watership Down. I can't remember the authorBunnies on a search for the promised land. I was surprised at how much I liked this. It was Ryan's recommendation.
9. When you want to read about marriage or relationships- Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
He does a good job of exploring what marriage should mean to a Christian. I like the way he builds on writings from others in the past.
10. When you don't mind a little cheese as long as it makes you feel good - Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery.
I've re-read this several times since it was assigned to us in my sophomore Bible class (what a random but fun assignment). I love that it continues the story of Anne of Green Gables and I admit that I cry each time I read it. And it's funny at times, too. Sometimes I feel like it's hard to find a book that's funny but clean.
11. When you want to laugh and cry - a lot. - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
I guess this is everyone's favorite. Trying to think of books that would actually make me laugh made me think of it. You'll laugh, you'll cry - five stars for one of my very very favorites! :)
12. When you want to think about what it means to be a woman in our present culture- What our Mother's Didn't Tell Us by Danielle CrittendenI didn't agree with everything the author said; that's a disclaimer. But this is interesting. Someone who is reacting to radical feminism and trying to think of what that means to a woman on a practical level.
13. Ok. Thursday Thirteen is seeming awfully long right now. Next time, I might go for a Friday Five. At this point I'm struggling to think of things worth mentioning.
So, our final number is dedicated to every book I can think of off the top of my head that I've started but not finished in recent history.
Here we go. . .
Girl Meets God by Lauren Winner
The Meeting Place by Jeanette Oake
The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck
Spindle's End by ?
Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis (I've promised Ryan I'd read this one because it's one of his very favorites but I've started it several times without being able to plow through it.)
A taste of the past by ? (Jewish cooking and history.)
A few others from Oprah's book club
And a few others I actually can't call to mind.
In other words, this is a bad habit of mine. From this track record, I think it's impressive that I've managed to keep my attention on this post long enough to finish. :)
And while I'm being totally upfront with you, I fully confess that I watch movies and read Self magazine more than I read anything in the evenings at home. But I still want to hear some recommendations from you. What do you think?
September 7, 2006
My Very Own Thursday Thirteen
Posted by
Elisa
on
9/07/2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I'm excited about this post! I will do the same thing. I love book recommendations!
Don't you sound like a Miss Smarty Pants with all your readings...or at least you sound like an English major! I actually like to read although I never do and I hate it when Cory reads becuase then I feel ignored...like he's swept up in a world I can't join. Aren't I selfish!!
But I will post a recommendation (yes it's going to be a cheesy mothery one) entitled "I love you this much." I found it browsing at a Barnes and Noble while Levi played with the train set and I started crying when I read it so of course I had to buy it.
My final recommendation is "I'm a Manatee" by John Lithgow. It was a free prize with a kids meal from chick-fil-a a while back. Here's a quote so you can understand the beauty of it's lyrics,
"I'm a manatee, I'm a manatee. I'm every bit as wrinkled as my grann-atee. No difference between my face and fann-atee, a noble manatee that's me."
Just gets ya right at the core of your sold doesn't it!
I love you! Chris
Jamie,
Can't wait to read your list! And I am going to try to see Little Miss Sunshine sometime soon at your and Jaime's recommendations.
Chirs,
Don't worry, we all know my pants aren't that smart, Miss "My Professional Degree Kicks your English majoring fan-atee!"
I agree that reading isn't that great of a "togetherness" activity, but since Ryan is always reading for school anyway, it works for me (when I'm not watching movies and reading magazines). And you are the world's biggest softee! I bet I Love You This Much was written by the same person who writes the hallmark commercials that always get to you. Dumbo also comes to mind.:)
I am definitely going to check out that manatee and will steer clear of I love You This Much in Barnes and Nobel any time I want to keep my cheeks dry. (P.S. I knew you had to get sucked into blogging at least a bit some day.) Miss you.
You make me want to go grab some of those old classics and re-read them (again). I love To Kill A Mockingbird and am, infact, on my second copy of it because I wore the first paperback to pieces. I also love Rebecca and Jane Eyre.
My most recent read was the Kite Runner. I am not necessarily recommending it- VERY HEAVY book. Just wondering if anyone else has read it? I'd love to talk to someone about it.
ABL
I so love Anna Karenina!! All 835 pages of it! I am so glad I read it! Don't have much time for pleasure reading these days - I don't even have enough time for assigned reading! But I will again someday.....
Ok. I know I've been cyber-absent for the last few weeks. Let me get through this week, and I'll update everything...I promise!!
Ok, here's the 4-1-1 on books.
I just finished reading Ghost Girl, a story about an emotionally disturbed girl who everyone thinks is just not all there, but it turns out she's being brutally abused. Not exactly a feel-good book (it creeped me out at times), but it definitely held my interest.
On a lighter note, "The Yada Yada Prayer Group" by Someone Jackson is a good book about women who come from completely different backgrounds and form a tight bond. It's just the first in a series, but it's the only one I've read. Just a warning, the end is kinda intense, but it ends on a positive note. I definitely recommend this one. I can let you borrow it sometime if you want.
A lady at my church recently had a book of poetry published, called "Urban Wisdom." It's kinda cool because the poetry is simple, but knowing the hard life she has had makes it so profound. I'll let you look at mine sometime and if you want a copy, I'll get you one.
Those are the only ones I thought I may have not told you about. Mostly I just re-read books I have because I don't have a library I go to.
"strong in sturdy"?! I believe the correct phrase is big and sturdy :)
Post a Comment