Now that we're all in the Christmas spirit, it's time for the Holiday Edition of Getting to Know Your Friends.
My sister sent this to me as an email message, but I think it's adaptable for blog land. I'll post my responses in the comments section and hope you'll add yours, too.
Welcome to the 2006 Holiday Edition of Getting to Know Your Friends! You know the drill. Everyone has time for a few moments of fun! Don't be a scrooge!!!
1. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
3. Do you hang mistletoe?
4. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
5. What is your favorite holiday memory as a child?
6. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
7. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
8. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
9. Snow! Love it or dread it?
10. Can you ice skate?
11. Do you remember your favorite gift?
12. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
13. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
14. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
15. What is your favorite Christmas song?
November 30, 2006
It's the most wonderful time of the year!
Posted by
Elisa
on
11/30/2006
Labels: holidays
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
1. I think they’re pretty, but they’re not my favorite thing to eat. Save those calories for the good stuff.
2. Santa has become very lazy lately, but he used to wrap presents.
3. No but when we were dating once Ryan sent some to me in the mail, and I thought that was sweet.
4. I have a really hard time excluding desserts. Can we say snacks? I like Aunt Becky’s fudge.
5. I remember when I thought I wasn’t going to get a Cabbage Patch doll and then I did. I was in the first grade and was REALLY happy. Her name was Cassie. That's the one time I remember being truyly blissful because of a simple gift.
6. I was in Kindergarten and my parents had a National Geographic Kids magazine that kind of explained the history behind Santa that they read to me. They evidently didn’t believe in keeping the dream alive for very long for any of us.
7. I only have once when we were going to Belton early the next day. Traditionally my family is the “Christmas is on Christmas” type.
8. Right now we just have a miniature tree with white lights and a few ornaments. We’re not actually at home for Christmas, and we have several other trees already thanks to my green-thumbed husband.
9. Love it! One of my favorite things about Indiana is the change of seasons, including snow!
10. Yes. I’m extremely graceful.
11. Hmm. I kind of already answered that. I always liked getting dolls. I can also remember my least favorite – math blaster or something like that that my parents thought would pass for a toy. I also got engaged around Christmas. That was a pretty good present, and I remember going to watch It’s A Wonderful Life afterwards at the Paramount in Abilene. That’s a good memory.
12. I have several. I love my sister-in-law’s “Winnie the Pooh Cookies,” the chocolate chip cheese cake I’ve made several times from a recipe from Melanie, and what we call Christmas cookies, which are my dad’s favorite.
13. I like going to look at lights –either around neighborhoods, on the riverwalk, or on the bay front, depending on where we have lived. I like the good Christmas movies we watch like White Christmas, It’s a Wonderful Life, and The Family Man. I like making cookies with my sister and hearing lots of Christmas music.
14. Giving, because I’m just that unselfish. No, really I enjoy both. And I think God must enjoy both too, since he gave us the most important gift and accepts our praise in return. That’s my Christmas sermon.
15. O Holy Night for a song with meaning and All I Want for Christmas is You for fun.
1. Yummy tasting, but yucky sticky!
2. Santa wraps presents and places them under the tree, but he obviously uses different wrapping paper than family presents. To this day, Santa also disguises his handwriting.
3. No because my grandmother does, and I have been stuck under the stupid mistletoe with some awkward people (think cousins' boyfriends, etc.). Also, according to my grandfather, the dog counts as a person, and I have definitely been stuck under the mistletoe with many a fat, stinky dachshund.
4. My grandmother makes a yummy salad, but other than that, I love my mom's stuffing.
5. One Christmas, when I was about 5 or so, my brother and I decided that we needed to walk to my cousins' house in the snow. I also decided that I needed to take my 10 new stuffed animals with me on this journey. My cousins were not home, so we trekked back up the hill to my grandma's house. When we got back, I realized one of my very small stuffed animals (a purple elephant made by Avon) was missing. I threw a fit and started crying like a brat, and while my parents were tending to their over-dramatic, bratty child, my brother, who was 6, slipped out of the house, retraced the route to my cousins' house and retrieved my stuffed animal without any of our knowledge. I think that is a sweet story about my brother even though it doesn't paint a very pretty picture of me. (Please note that my grandparents live in a very small town where everybody knows everybody, so going out alone without telling a soul did not pose any great danger to my brother's life).
6. I was probably 7. Two events in the same year led me to believe that Santa was a crock. The first was that my cousin and I spent 3 days before Christmas drawing pictures, coloring pictures and writing notes for Santa. We both left them with our respective cookies and milk; however, Julie's Santa left her a very sweet Thank You letter, while I received no acknowledgment for my hard work. At first, I just thought Santa liked her better, but the second event of that year was that I saw a gift tag from Julie's Santa. His handwriting was not the same as my Santa's handwriting as my mother went to great lengths to disguise her handwriting, while my aunt did not.
7. Traditionally, we open all gifts from our relatives (cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.) on Christmas Eve. We save immediate family gifts for Christmas day.
8. Lots of random ornaments and a gold star on top. Also, I just use white lights. No themes in my house!
9. Love it if I don't have to go out in it.
10. If you call sliding around on my rear-end while wearing skates ice skating, then yes. If not, then no.
11. When I was little it was probably Care Bears, Cabbage Patch Kids and my Cricket doll, but last year I got a video camera, which I LOVE!
12. My Grandma's Carrot Cake
13. As a child, we always traveled away from home for Christmas day; therefore, Santa always made an early stop to our house to leave our "big" presents. Sometimes this early visit was on a school day, and my mom let us all skip school or go late to celebrate our early Christmas. She also made a huge breakfast for our early Christmas.
14. I think I want to go with your answer...Actually, receiving means much less to me as I have gotten older. (Receiving toys for Jackson means a complete overhaul of my current organizational system, so in that regard, I much prefer giving).
15. I pretty much like all Christmas music except for Santa Baby.
Kate, Your #3 cracks me up. Here's hoping that you don't have to have to give any fat puppy kisses this year!
Sorry. I shouldn't try to comment first thing on a Monday morning. Take out a "have to" above. :)
1. Delicious- but you have to suck one end to a sharp point and then bite off tiny pieces until it's flat again- then repeat!
2. Unwrapped of course- that's how you know they are from Santa. (Kate this might help with the handwriting oops!) :)
3. We don't need mistletoe in the Jones house! Just Kidding- but we really don't hang it either.
4. My Dad has started B-B-Qing ribs and they are gooooooood. I also love my mother-in-laws rolls and pretty much make a fool of myself devouring them every year.
5. I remember alot of Christmas's at my grandparents house on my mom's side. All the kids would be upstairs listening for all the adults downstairs to go to sleep so we could sneak down and peek as soon as possible. Really my older sister, Jennifer, was the only one who could stay awake that long. I still remember the thrill of her walking around to each of us and being woken up by her whispering,
"Santa came!"
6. I can't remember when or how I "found out." But mom still makes us say we believe every year if we want presents!
7. As long as we could talk our parents into it we got to open a gift early- and the four of us could plead a pretty good case.
8. I think we are now up to owning about 12 ornaments so we stick it in a corner and decorate the front only!
9. Snow? Love it- well I love looking out the window at it and watching Cory and Levi building snowmen in it. But I'm not a fan of getting ready 10 minutes early to defrost the car or having to dress my boys in so many layers that their car seat straps won't fit around them.
10. I can't to any triple loos or lutzes- but I can stay up.
11. I remember my least favorite gift...in 7th grade I got a microscope and was so disappointed I started crying. Then I felt guilty about crying like a spoiled brat so when my parents asked me, I just said I was crying because I was so happy.
12. I love anything dipped in chocolate and also rice krispie treats- but not dipped in chocolate.
13. Every year my family lovingly gathers round the tube and watches National Lampoons Christmas Vacation- sorry if my family offends anyone! :)
14. Duh! Receiving! I do love giving when I have found that perfect gift and can't wait to see their face. This year promises to be a good one- Levi is racking up!
15. I love Point of Grace's "Oh, Holy Night" especially when the alto kicks in on "...fall on your knees." Chris Rice's "Welcome to Our World" brings tears to my eyes. And Steven Curtis Chapman's "Christmas is in the heart" always makes me think of living in Nelson and Sikes dorms with Mel.(Miss you girl!)
I am hoping I can escape any mistletoe time with the fat dog this year also. I would just ignore the mistletoe, but my grandfather really enjoys calling people out who stand underneath it. Nice, huh?
What are Winnie the Pooh cookies?
Winnie the Pooh cookies got their name because my sister-in-law's family kept that kind of cookie in a Winnie the Pooh cookie jar.
They are extremely tasty and crispy oatmeal cookies with shavings of bittersweet chocolate mixed in. Yum, yum. I don't keep the recipe because she makes them so well, so I figure I'll just enjoy her efforts. :)
Your grandfather sounds like a funny guy!
Post a Comment