October 29, 2008

Photos, Food, etc.

This . . .


has turned into this . . .


so we must be getting close.

I'm going to try to formulate a few thoughts so that I can re-convince myself that a blog is somehow different than Facebook and that it makes sense to do both.

A former perception of mine: In Europe, people eat better, fresher food than people in the U.S. They replace things like trans fats and high fructose corn syrup with wholesome ingredients. Convenience foods are pretty much an American thing.

Reality: That may be true if you know where to shop, but from what I see a lot of foods are in no way more natural than what I'd see in an American grocery store. For example, I used to get those Dannon yogurt cups that I would tell myself were better for me - they were "natural" with just yogurt, fruit and sugar. I haven't been able to find an equivalent here but have found plenty of the good old fashioned corn syrup laden yogurt with all kinds of additives. (Again, it may be because I spend my time in Aldi and not in gourmet food stores.) Ryan has a collection of chips that I refuse to touch - they are corn puffs with flavors like pickle and onion or vinegar. Also, there are so many delicious looking pastries and cookies and breads around that a diet with less sugar in it seems like a joke. Let's just say I haven't been on a health foods kick.

Food is such a big part of my existence right now because, of course, I'm always hungry and then because I walk and have to carry whatever groceries I purchase and because our refrigerator is small and freezer teeny, it seems that I'm always going grocery shopping. Also I'm washing dishes by hand, so it just takes a long time to make and then clean up a meal. Makes me feel very 50s housewife-y. But I do like having the time to do these things. It's different than always being in a hurry because I'm just rushing off to or coming home from work. I don't even have a work permit here, so I'm enjoying the home life for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Has anyone read the novel Family Matters ? It's my latest read. It was fine, but I feel like I've read my fair share of novels that seem to make it their goal to convince me what a deeply depressing place our world is. It's like authors live to one-up each other in this area. I don't think that being able to think of the worst possible scenario for any given character automatically makes an author insightful in some special way. If I want to be depressed, I can find inspiration in the world around me all by myself, thank you. Being able to both write well and to come up with a plot than includes some overriding hope for redemption - now that is a gift I would really admire. I need a happy medium between a fluff fest and an extended ad for Prozac. I guess that is what I think Jesus offers. He should have written a few more novels. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chances are that if you're reading this, then I miss you, so hug yourself for me. :)

3 comments:

The Best Family said...

you are absolutely adorable! And I love to read about your life so far away! You do sound rather 50's-housewifey compared to the "hustle and bustle" of an american mommy of 4 wild boys! But it sounds so fun! Glad you are settling in!
Love you!

Jaime said...

I so enjoy reading your thoughts! I hope you hug yourself for all the people that love and miss you too! That's a lot of hugs! :)

The Brackeens said...

Oh, no. Blogger is WAYYY better than Facebook. I am guilty of having both, too, but I don't use the facebook thing very often. I can't believe you have to walk to the store! We have one just down the street, but I can't imagine carrying all my groceries home! I guess you would have to go more often and just get a little at a time. I am currently addicted to egg nog. Do you have that there? :) Yum. (Did you know I am expecting, too?)