November 11, 2008

Lullabies

My sweet sister sent me the best birthday/baby care package full of goodies a few weeks ago, and I was one happy girl going through it. One of her gifts was a CD of tropical lullabies from a variety of tropical countries. The music is really great, and Ryan even took it to work with him for awhile because of the soothing melodies and Brazilian-type beats.

When I pulled out lyrics to the songs, though, we had quite the shock. Because these songs are in their native languages, there was no way for Aunt Jessie to know that she was trying to soothe her nephew to sleep with words such as

Sleep little one,
If you don't sleep, the big crab will eat you . . .

or

If you sleep I'll buy you a ripe red melon
If you don't sleep I'll send the
boogie-man to spank you

or

Sleep tight baby
Just like that
Close to my heart
Just like that, closer to me
Or else the boogie monster will come

or

I am the boogieman and I'm a little ugly
But my heart is big and beautiful
I am the boogieman and they say of me
That I say "Boo" and don't let you sleep

It's nice to know that parents all over the world are willing to use threats, bribes, and monsters to get their kids to sleep! :) Something to look forward to!

5 comments:

The Best Family said...

That is hysterical!! I may have had those feelings burried deep down a time or 2 in the middle of the night, but never thought to put them into a song! :o) How much longer for you??

Jaime said...

Are those the real words? Oh my! Like we don't have enough crazy kids running around already?!? I'm glad you got a fun birthday package!

Raina said...

That's hilarious! I would be horrified if I caught someone singing that to my child! Sometimes we just don't really "connect" with other cultures, do we?!

Raina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Brackeens said...

Wow! You are 37 weeks! Any day now. I am so excited for you! I'll be checking the blog!